These programmes allow students to conduct an independent research in an area of Computer Science, under the supervision of a member of staff with related expertise. Assessment is by semester progress reports and a thesis examination (viva voce). A student will be expected to present his/her proposal to a panel of examiners in the second semester of registration for Master programme. At the end of every semester, students are required to report and present the progress of their research. Since 2005 students are required to present their research work at the annual postgraduate research seminar, organized by the faculty. These would be used as a basis for assessment.
PROGRAM EDUCATION OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the programme are to produce students:
- To produce students who are experts in their related fields and are able to work independently with supervision from highly qualified supervisors.
- To produce students who are very knowledgable and theoretically sound and are able to apply these for the analysis and solution of problems where these leads to new or substantially improved insights and performances.
- To produce students who can think critically and creatively thus capable of generating and developing new knowledge, products, materials or methods for the benefits of mankind.
- To produce students with excellent communication skills, capable of communicating effectively both technically and theoretically in various context and with various related parties, thus sharing new knowledge with other researchers from other institutions, universities and also industrialists.
- To produce students who can adapt to changes in environment and practice life long learning.
- To produce students with high integrity and who are ethically professional.
Bachelor’s degree with honors in Computer Science or a related discipline from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia or any other institution of higher learning recognized by the Senate; or for those without a good honors degree, candidates must have substantial working experience in the area.
Researcher, Academician, Consultant, Manager.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
|All students who are applying to UTM:
- Must have a valid two years certificate in TOEFL or IELTS
Students will be enrolled in a faculty programme without undergoing UTM English courses, if:
- TOEFL score: 550 (or 79 IBT) OR
- IELTS band: Band 6
Starting from Semester II 2010/2011,class will be teaching in English as a Second Language. So they must have:
- A valid two years certificate of TOEFL with a score 600 and above OR
- IELTS: band 7 and above (or IBT/CBT equivalent)
|However, students with:
- Low or without IELTS (Academic) OR
- Without IELTS/TOEFL OR
- Who will sit for the UTM English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT)
|Will have these options:
- Attend and Complete Intensive English Course (IEC) – Low Intermediate
- Attend and Complete Intensive English Course (IEC) – Intermediate
- Attend and Complete IELTS Preparatory Course (IPC)
Curriculum Structure for MPhil Computer Science (Research)
Tuition Fees for MPhil Computer Science
For further information, please contact:
ASSOC. PROF. DAYANG NORHAYATI BINTI ABANG JAWAWI
(Academic & Student Development)
Faculty of Computing
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Tel : 607-553 2009
Fax : 607-553 8829
DR. ZALMIYAH BINTI ZAKARIA
Tel : 607-553 2357
Fax : 607-553 8822 / 553 8829