Doctor Of Philosophy
School of Biomedical Engineering and Health Sciences (SBEHS) offers four Doctor of Philosophy programmes:
- Doctor of Philosophy (Health Science)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Biomedical Engineering)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Biomedical Engineering) – Double Degree Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and Technical University Ilmenau (TUIL) Germany have started an International Double Degree programme in Biomedical Engineering. The doctorate double degree programme enables student to be awarded with 2 certificates, which are Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Biomedical Engineering from UTM and Doctor in Computer Science and Automation (Dr.-Ing) from Technical University Ilmenau, Germany (TUIL). The students are required to spend at least 9 months at the partner university.
SBEHS offers Doctor of Philosophy program by research. This program is offered as a full-time. A student will carry out research in any one of the areas of research chosen. Each research project is supervised by a lecturer of the Graduate Faculty. A Graduate Faculty member is an academic staff who has a doctoral degree qualification or an academic staff who holds an academic post at least senior lecturer and is involved directly or indirectly in the postgraduate programs. Co-supervisor may also come from a related industry.
|1. Awarding Institution||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia|
|2. Teaching Institution||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia|
|3. Programme Name||Doctor of Philosophy
Doctor of Philosophy
|4. Final Award||Doctor of Philosophy
Doctor of Philosophy
|5. Programme Code||PMBE
|6. Professional or Statutory Body of Accreditation||Malaysian Qualification Agency Engineering Accreditation Council|
|7. Language(s) of Instruction||English|
|8. Mode of Study (Conventional, distance learning, etc)||Conventional (Coursework)|
|9. Mode of operation (Franchise, self-govern, etc)||Self-governing|
|10. Study Scheme (Full Time/Part Time)||Full Time|
|11. Study Duration||Minimum : 3 years (6 semester)
Maximum : 6 years (12 semester)
Doctor of Philosophy (Biomedical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering), Master of Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry), Master of Medicine with CPA ≥3.0 will be considered for this program; OR
- Other qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree and experience in the relevant field recognized by the Senate; OR
- Candidates who are currently registered in a Master’s Degree programme at Univeristi Teknologi Malaysia, and approved by the Graduate Studies Committee of the respective faculty and the Senate.
Doctor of Philosophy (Health Science)
- Master Degree in Rehabilitation Technology, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Physics, Health Sciences, Sport Sciences with CPA ≥3.0 will be considered for this program; OR
- Related fields with good honour from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia or any other institution of higher learning recognised by the Senate
Assessment is done by examining first assessment report and presentation (research proposal), each semester’s progress reports, second assessment report and presentation (mini viva) and thesis examination (viva voce).
All PhD students must undergo first assessment report and presentation by presenting their research proposal after completed General Elective University Course and Research Methodology Course. They also must undergo second assessment report and presentation (mini viva) at the middle of their study to present their progress. The first and second assessments are scheduled according to the student’s appropriate semester of study as follows:
|First Assessment||Semester 3|
|Second Assessment (mini Viva)||Semester 3 or 4|
|Progress Report||Week 12 (Every semester)|
Submission of progress report
Students who are submitting the final draft of their thesis should send in the Notice of Thesis Submission to the Faculty at least 3 months prior to the date of submitting their thesis.