Master of Science (Data Science)
The Master of Science (Data Science) is a coursework programme offered on a full-time basis at the UTM Main Campus in Johor Bahru. The duration of study for the full-time programme is subjected to the student’s entry qualifications and lasts between one and half (1 1/2) years to a maximum of four (4) years.
The coursework programme is offered based on a 2-Semester per academic session. In this programme, the candidate will learn not only to apply data science, but they will acquire insight into how and why methods work so they will be able to construct solutions to new challenges in data science. Furthermore, student will also be able to work on problems specific to a scientific discipline and to combine knowledge domain with the latest data analysis methods and tools.
|1. Awarding Institution||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia|
|2. Teaching Institution||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia|
|3. Programme Name||Master of Science (Data Science)|
|4. Final Award||Master of Science (Data Science)|
|5. Programme Code||MECDA1AJA|
|6. Professional or Statutory Body of Accreditation||Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA)|
|7. Language(s) of Instruction||English|
|8. Mode of Study (Conventional, Distance Learning, etc)||Conventional|
|9. Mode of Operation (Franchise, Self-govern, etc)||Self-governing|
|10. Study Scheme (Full Time/Part Time)||Full Time|
|11. Study Duration||
Minimum : 1 year 6 months (3 semesters)
|Type of Semester||No. of Semesters||No. of Weeks/Semesters|
|Full Time||Part Time||Full Time||Part Time|
|No.||Classification||Credit Hours||Percentage (%)|
|Total Credit Hours to Graduate||45 credit hours|
Offered to Students
Upon graduating from the MSc (Data Science) programme, you will have solid knowledge of the central concepts, theories, and research methods of data science as well as applied skills. In particular, you will be:
- Able to acculturate deep understanding and intuitive thinking from data analytics to assist decision making based on data-driven evolution
- Able to sustain research and innovation based on advanced knowledge of data science and analytics
- Able to leverage the full potential of data using digital technology as a catalyst for 4th Industrial Revolution
- Able to consistently perform their responsibilities professionally and ethically as a data scientist, data analyst, and related jobs
Data Scientist, Big Data Analytics Engineer
Big Data Analytics Programmer, Data Engineer
Big Data Software Engineer
Business Data Analyst, Data Analyst
Data Architect, Systems Engineer
Student will be awarded with Master of Science (Data Science) after graduating and meet the conditions set by UTM as below:
- Pass all courses with a total accumulated 45 credit hours and pass with CGPA of 3.0 and above.
- Achieved all conditions given in the preparation of Masters Project.
- An applicant has applied for the award of Master of Science (Data Science).
- Graduation Checklist